Onggijang No. 30 Intangible Cultural Heritage of Seoul Metropolitan Government +
||Intangible Cultural Property
Onggijang Bae Yo-seop (Residence in Sinnae-dong, Jungnang-gu, 1926) is a four-generation Onggi craftsman who has continued to work as a Hanmi-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Toga (meaning the Bae family that runs beautiful Korean kiln). It was recognized as a holder on September 25, 2002 and became an honorary holder on April 13, 2017.
It is producing 'Puredog', which is baked without glaze or lye, which is classified as a high-quality onggi.
The word "pure" is the pure Korean word for "purple," and poison refers to a large bowl with a pear.
"Pure Dogg" is a bowl made with salt, one of the state-run items, and was used as a Buddhist item for Buddhist temples given to the royal family or royal family in Korea.
Bae Yo-seop's great-great-grandfather, Pyo Dae-gyeom (Francisco), joined the Catholic Church in the Chungcheong-do region, where Catholic faith first spread to Korea in the late Joseon Dynasty, and served as a lay leader in Dangjin, Chungcheong-do.
As many Onggi artisans did, they began to burn onggi in the mountains with their families to avoid the persecution of Catholicism by Heungseon Daewongun.
The martyrdom of Pyo Dong-gyeom (Francisco) in 1800 and his eldest son Bae Cheong-mo (Augustino) in 1829 while transcribing Catholic books led to the production of pottery as a family business by Bae Dae-bong, his third son.
Bae lived in Eumseong, Chungcheong-do, hiding his family's martyrdom, and learned how to make Puredog, the best onggi technique of the time.
Since then, Bae Dae-chun, the son of Bae Dae-bong, has been passed down for three generations, and Bae Bae Bae-seok, the son of Bae Dae-chun, has been handed down for four generations. The baeuiseok Japanese Icheon to the South of France and moderate damage, made a rapid demand after the onggi remote areas to production.
Bae's eldest son, Bae Yo-seop, moved from Icheon to Yeongdeungpo, Seoul, and started his family business as a fifth generation from 1942 with his father Bae Bae-seok at the recommendation of his grandmother.
In 1955, he moved to the Onggi branch in Sinnae-dong, Jungnang-gu, Seoul, and opened a Onggi Onggi restaurant called <Hanmi Yoyup> with his father, and carried out production activities while maintaining its own onggi style, mainly in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province.
When his father died in 1968, when he was 42 years old, he took the initiative in operating the workshop. In the early 1980s, he was able to produce onggi mainly in the era of increased demand for onggi during the Korean War, but in the early 1980s, his second son Bae Yeon-sik and his family business, Puredog, were re-produced.
It went through as many trials and errors as it had not been produced for a while and was designated as an intangible cultural asset of Seoul in recognition of its achievements.
After the relocation of the workshop to Songcheon-ri, Namyangju, Gyeonggi-do in 1992 due to the development of an apartment complex in Sinnae-dong, Jungnang-gu, Seoul, Bae Yo-seop's second son Bae Yeon-sik worked on the Puregi.
'Pure Dogi' means 'Pure' in 'Purple' and 'Pottery', which is completed at a high temperature of 1300 degrees without glaze or lye on the surface using pure yellow soil, and is further developed in materials and plasticization methods than the existing Puredogg.
It was developed as a rural housing complex around the Songcheon-ri workshop in Namyangju, Gyeonggi Province, and moved the workshop to Seosin-myeon, Hwaseong-si, Gyeonggi-do in 2009. Now Bae Yo-seop's second son Bae Yeon-sik runs the Korea-U.S. Yobae City Toga for the sixth generation, while his granddaughter Bae Eun-kyung and Bae Sae-rom, who are in charge of seven family businesses, run the Puregi Institute.
bbb※※ For detailed information on the above cultural assets, please refer to the Seoul Metropolitan Government Department of Historical and Cultural Heritage (202-2133-2616). </bb