K-HISTORY 2 Page > Little Korea


Meaningful Days of Korean History

  • 1971.10.30
    Completion date
    On October 30, 1971, the Yeouido Sibeom Apartment, built by the Seoul Metropolitan Government, was completed.

    Yeouido Sibeom Apartment was Korea's first complex-type high-rise apartment built for the development of Yeouido, and was about 1,500 households in 24 buildings with 12 stories high.

    Cold hot water, heating, electricity, and telephones were first underground piping, and 24 elevators and two escalators were installed inside, which were called state-of-the-art apartments at the time of construction.

    It was also the first apartment to build a model house.
  • 1997.11.6
    Completion date
    On November 6, 1997, the completion ceremony of the Dokdo berthing facility was held at the Dokdo Museum in Ulleungdo.

    The Dokdo berthing facility started construction in April 1996 for the safety of vessels entering and leaving Dokdo, such as Dokdo defense and transportation of goods, and started construction in April 1996. It consisted of a simple pier and a 100m ramp.

    The monument built at the completion of the berthing facility is engraved with the sentence, "At the end of the eastern part of the Republic of Korea, let the stormy waves lie down and we plant the Korean spirit on Dokdo."
  • 1968.11.7
    opening day
    On November 7, 1968, the opening ceremony of Sewoon Shopping Center in Jongno, Seoul was held. The mall was built with a total floor space of 10,470 pyeong and 13 floors above ground, with a private capital of 612 million won.

    To be exact, it is the first residential and commercial complex in Korea under the name of the entire residential and commercial complex that connects Jongno 3-ga and Toegye-ro 3-ga.

    The name Sewoon Sangga was named by Seoul Mayor Kim Hyun-ok at the time, meaning "the energy of the world should gather here."

    At first, high-end residential apartments and shops existed together, but since the 1960s, this area has been a place of business that fixes and sells all kinds of junk from U.S. military units, and the shops here have become a mecca of electronic products including household appliances.

    Since then, the rapid development of Gangnam has led to the disappearance of Merritt as a residential area, and eventually, apartments at the top have been converted into commercial buildings as engineers' workshops.

    The formerly stagnant commercial atmosphere has been transformed through urban regeneration projects, and now people are visiting more frequently.
  • 1973.11.9
    opening day
    Dosan Park is a park in Sinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.

    Construction began in 1971 and opened in 1973. The park was named after Ahn Chang-ho's penchant for patriotism and education.

    It is the place where Dosan Ahn Chang-ho and his wife Lee Hye-ryeon were buried together. There is a statue of Ahn Chang-ho on the east side of the park, and a walkway stretches around the center, which is round like a Western-style garden.

    The Dosan Ahn Chang-ho Memorial Hall in Dosan Park displays photos, letters, temporary government feedbooks and Dosan diaries that give you a quick look at Dosan's life and thoughts.

    It is also equipped with a touch screen where you can see Dosan's notes, annals, and pictures.

    Ahn Chang-ho (November 9, 1878-March 10, 1938) was an educational reform activist and patriotic enlightenment activist in the Korean Empire, and an independence activist, educator, and politician during the Japanese occupation.
  • 1970.11.19
    Completion date
    Sejong the Great Memorial Hall is a memorial hall located in Cheongnyangri-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, and was built to celebrate the success and achievements of Sejong the Great and to preserve it for a long time.

    The Sejong Daiou Memorial Business Association was laid down on October 9, 1968, completed on November 19, 1970, and opened on October 9, 1973.

    It consists of exhibition rooms such as Sejong the Great's one's life story room, Hangul room, science room, and Korean traditional music room.
  • 2012.11.20
    Registration date
    Namdaemun Market, which started in 1414 when the Joseon Dynasty was the 14th year of King Taejong's reign, was established by the Namdaemun Market Merchants Association after Korea's liberation from Japan's colonial rule, and has been in the form of a corporation jointly invested by building owners and merchants in 1964, boasting a history of more than 600 years.

    The average number of visitors to Namdaemun Market, which has a traditional appearance, present and overflowing vitality, reaches 300,000 a day, with some 10,000 stores starting from Sungnyemun Gate.

    Geographically, it is the most popular attraction for foreigners visiting Seoul as it is located near major buildings in Seoul, including Shinsegae Department Store and the Bank of Korea, as well as tourist attractions such as Jeongdong-gil, Myeong-dong, Namsan Tower, and Namsan Hanok Village.
  • 1988.12.1
    opening day
    On December 1, 1988, the 'Yoon Bong-gil Memorial Hall' was completed at Yangjae Citizens' Forest Park in Seocho-gu, Seoul.

    This memorial hall was built to mark the 55th anniversary of the death of Yun Bong-gil.

    On a 2,000-pyeong plot of land, there is an exhibition room for artifacts, galleries, and video exhibition rooms with one basement floor and three ground floors.

    Yoon Bong-gil was born in 1908 in South Chungcheong Province as the son of a poor farmer.

    His real name is Wu Ui, his pen name is Maeheon, and Bonggil is his nickname.

    Doctor Yoon Bong-gil ended his short life on December 19, 1932, when he walked the single path of the independence movement after injecting a bomb into Shanghai Park.
  • 1987.12.3
    open unification
    Jungbu Expressway (part of Express National Road No. 35) is a highway in South Korea that connects the two Koreas, starting from Cheongju, North Chungcheong Province, and Hanam, Gyeonggi Province.

    Although the same route number is given as Tongyeong Daejeon Expressway, it is a different route legally and institutionally.

    It was opened on December 3, 1987 to disperse traffic on the Gyeongbu Expressway and promote regional development.
  • 1964.12.3
    opening day
    The Freedom Center, designed by architect Kim Soo-geun (February 20, 1931 to June 14, 1986,) was decided to be established at the 1962 Asian Anti-Communist Federation Provisional Assembly to prevent communist aggression against free Asian countries and to protect peace and security.

    The main building of the Freedom Center, a large convention center, Seoul Club, a social club for high-ranking people, and Tower Hotel, a hotel for foreigners, were established here.

    It is the first government-run building and represents Korea in the 1960s.
  • 1968.12.21
    Opening Date
    Construction began on March 24, 1967 and was completed on December 21, 1968.

    The Gyeongin Expressway, built in preparation for the rapid increase in transportation demand between Seoul and Incheon, is Korea's first highway, although the road extension is short, meaningful in that it has provided an opportunity to enter the era of highway and high growth.
  • 1960.12.30
    renaming day
    On December 30, 1960, six months after the collapse of the Liberal Party regime of Rhee Syng-man and the Democratic Party of the Second Republic, President Yoon Bo-sun changed the name of his residence from Kyungmudae to Cheong Wa Dae.

    Seeing that the roof of the main building of Gyeongmudae is blue, there is a theory that President Yoon, who studied archaeology in college, changed his name to "Cheong Wa Dae" with his major knowledge.

    Yoon Bo-sun (August 26, 1897 to July 18, 1990) is a politician who served as the fourth president of the Republic of Korea.

    He served as Seoul mayor from December 15, 1948 to June 5, 1949 and as the fourth president of the Republic of Korea from August 13, 1960 to March 23, 1962.
  • 1907.1.1
    first movie theater
    Dansungsa Temple is Korea's first full-fledged permanent theater built in 1907 in Myo-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul.

    Close to Exit 3 of Jongno 3-ga Subway Station, it faces 1958 CGV Piccadilly.

    On October 27, 1919, Dansungsa screened 'Loyal Guto' which was first made with domestic capital by a Korean.

    In the late 1990s, when the number of spectators decreased due to the lack of multi-cultural theaters, the company attempted to transform itself into a multiplex with 10 pipes by completing a new building in 2005, but it closed its doors in just three years.

    After several auction procedures, it was acquired by an affiliate of Youngan Hat. Baek Sung-hak, chairman of Youngan Moja, has preserved a theater inside Danseongsa Temple and built a movie history museum on the second basement floor to display 5,500 films, including movie posts and movie production equipment.

    The exhibits also include bricks and original photographs of the building, which was newly built in 1934. Some of the fruits of Korean films that almost disappeared have survived.
  • 1958.1.30
    Specified date
    On January 30, 1958, Gimpo Airport was designated as an international airport, and a system of jurisdiction from the Minister of Transportation was promulgated.

    Gimpo Airport opened in 1942 at Gimpo Airfield and was used as an airfield for the United Nations Military Command during the Korean War.

    Management was transferred to Korea in 1961 and served as Korea's first gate until Incheon Airport opened in 2001.
  • 1963.2.1
    Opening Day
    Jangchung Gymnasium was Korea's largest indoor stadium with 8,000 seats and is a circular stadium.

    Originally used as an army gymnasium, it was changed to a sports stadium and opened on February 1, 1963.

    In the 1960s and 1970s, Jangchung Gymnasium was a regular venue for various control events as well as sports.

    It is where various national celebrations such as the $10 billion export ceremony, the Liberation Day, and the inauguration ceremony of the president were held.
  • 1954.3.1
    Construction commencement date
    According to the Ministry of National Defense, the current location of Dongjak-dong was selected as the candidate site for the military cemetery and was approved by President Syngman Rhee on September 29, 1953.

    Since the construction of the construction site began on March 1, 1954, 238,017 square meters of graveyard were constructed over three years, and 99,174 square meters of forest land, 912,400 square meters of forest land, and 178,513 square meters of park administration area were constructed annually until the end of 1968.